The biggest solar parks now have about 2 GW of generating capacity and are expanding towards 5 GW
Here are the top 10 largest solar power plants in the world:
1. China: Yanchi Solar Park Situated in China, it gives an output of about 820 MW. The plant has been operational since 2016.
2. China: Datong ‘Front Runner’ In China’s further east, in Shanxi Province, another 800 MW project has been installed in the Datong district. The solar array is distributed on hilltops over a wide area, making them hard to see on satellite images. 3. China: Longyangxia Solar-Hydro plant Located in China’s Qinghai Province, the 697-MW Longyangxia Solar-Hydro plant became the largest in the world when the second phase was connected in 2014 by China Power Investment.
4. India: Kamuthi Solar Power Project This power station was built by Adani in Tamil Nadu in 2016. This is India’s largest solar power station. It covers nearly 1,200 hectares and has an AC capacity of 648 MW.
5. Mexico: Villanueva plant Mexico’s Villanueva plant has an operational capacity of 640 MW. It’s phase III was completed in November last year and is still being expanded by Italy’s ENEL Green Power.
6. United States: Solar Star The USA’s largest solar plant has a total capacity of 579 MW and is owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway group.
7. China: Hongshagang This multi-phase plant in Gansu province was built by China Singyes, with at least 574 MW operational, and an eventual capacity of 820 MW.
8. United States: Topaz This project has a capacity of 550 MW and is built on the Carrizo Plain in central California.
9. China: Yinchuan Xingqing The Yinchuan Xinqing project has a total capacity of just over 500 MW, and was installed in mid-2018.
10. India: NP Kunta Greenko Situated in Andhra Pradesh, the station was in 2017 for Greenko Energy in the Ananthapur Solar Park. It has a capacity of 500 MW.
Another plant worth mentioning here is the Sweihan Independent Power Project in Abu Dhabi, UAE. It is still under construction, but at 938 MW, it is expected to become the world’s largest plant, when commissioned later this year.